2 NYC Men Face Charges For Staging At Least 8 Bogus Armed Robberies Across The Country To Gain Immigration Benefits.

Wagswoofs – Two men from New York City allegedly orchestrated a series of armed robberies at convenience stores and fast food establishments throughout the United States as part of an elaborate plan to obtain immigration benefits. According to federal prosecutors, the duo targeted various locations across the country in order to carry out their scheme.

Rambhai Patel, 36, and Balwinder Singh, 39, allegedly conspired to commit visa fraud and have been arrested on December 13. They have been charged with one count of conspiracy to commit visa fraud. Their alleged plot involved using the “victims” of their robberies to apply for special immigration visas. Massachusetts prosecutors are handling the case.

Federal prosecutors claim that Patel and Singh organized “at least eight” of the alleged staged robberies. These incidents involved a “robber” using what appeared to be a firearm to threaten store clerks before stealing cash from the register, all while being recorded by the store’s surveillance camera.

According to prosecutors, the store clerks participating in the scheme started implementing it in March 2023. They would deliberately wait for at least five minutes or longer until the robber had made their escape before contacting the police to report the crime.


According to prosecutors, each of the individuals involved in the supposed robberies paid Patel for their participation, while Patel, in turn, paid the store owners to use their shops for the staged incidents.

The staged robberies were orchestrated to help store clerks apply for a special “U visa.” This particular visa is designed for immigrants who have experienced mental or physical abuse and have assisted in prosecuting criminals. It allows them to remain in the country for a period of four years.


Singh, who was arrested in Queens, made an appearance before a Judge in Boston federal court. Patel, on the other hand, was arrested in Seattle and has been ordered to be detained pending trial. He is expected to face federal prosecutors in Boston at a later date, as stated by the prosecutors.

If found guilty, both defendants could potentially be sentenced to a maximum of five years in prison and fined up to $250,000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *