As December 2023 unfolds, many are eagerly anticipating their Social Security checks. If you haven’t received yours yet, there’s a good chance it might arrive this week or the next. Notably, starting January 2024, these payments will see a 3.2% increase due to a cost of living adjustment. This article delves into the specifics of when you can expect your Social Security payment and the factors that determine its arrival date. Additionally, it covers the maximum Social Security benefits you can receive each month and the payment schedule for those receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).
When to Expect Your December Social Security Check
The Social Security Administration (SSA) has a structured schedule for disbursing payments, primarily based on your birth date:
- December 1: Payments for individuals who have been receiving Social Security since before May 1997, as well as those receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- December 13: For those with birthdays between the 1st and 10th of any month.
- December 20: For individuals with birthdays from the 11th to the 20th.
- December 27: For those whose birthdays fall between the 21st and the end of the month.
Determining Your Payment Date
Your birth date plays a crucial role in determining when you’ll receive your Social Security check:
- Second Wednesday: If your birthday is between the 1st and 10th of the month.
- Third Wednesday: For birthdays between the 11th and 20th.
- Fourth Wednesday: If your birthday is between the 21st and 31st.
SSI recipients generally receive their payments on the first of each month, with some exceptions.
Special Cases: Social Security and SSI Recipients
If you began receiving Social Security benefits before May 1997 or if you’re entitled to both Social Security and SSI, your payment schedule differs. You’ll receive your Social Security payment on the third day of each month and your SSI on the first day. However, if these dates fall on a weekend or a holiday, the payment dates are adjusted accordingly.
What to Do If Your Check Is Delayed
In case your check doesn’t arrive as scheduled, the SSA recommends waiting an additional three mailing days before contacting them. You can reach out to a representative at 800-772-1213, preferably between Wednesday and Friday or from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays. Additionally, you can access your Social Security benefits online.
This information is vital for those relying on Social Security and SSI payments, ensuring they are well-informed about their payment schedules and what to do in case of delays. Remember, this schedule is subject to monthly updates, so staying informed is key.