FDNY: 6 Injured In Highbridge Fire Caused By Lithium-ion Battery

Wagswoofs * UPDATE: The FDNY has determined that the fire on Summit Avenue on Tuesday night was caused by a lithium-ion battery.

A massive fire in Highbridge on Tuesday resulted in injuries to six people, including two firefighters, according to the FDNY.

The fire broke out at around 7 p.m. on the top floor of a three-story home located at 920 Summit Ave. It rapidly spread throughout all levels of the house and extended to the adjacent residence.

Four civilians and two firefighters sustained minor injuries during the incident. According to fire officials, approximately 10 to 15 residents have been forced to leave their homes as a result of the fire.

According to the Department of Buildings, both homes do not have any open violations. The owner of 922 Summit Ave. informed News 12 that her family has never encountered any safety problems until the neighboring house started renting rooms.

A tenant who hasn’t officially been listed on the lease claims that he hasn’t received any temporary housing assistance from the Red Cross. He suspects that an e-bike caused the fire.

The Red Cross has assisted a total of five families who have been displaced. In order to receive assistance, residents of this area simply need to provide proof of address, which can be in the form of a bill or payment with their current address.

The cause of the fire is still unknown.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *