Wagswoofs – A fire erupted on the roof of the Pentagon City Mall on Saturday evening, according to Arlington Fire and EMS.
The department announced on X that they were currently responding to a situation at the mall in the 1100 block of S Hayes St. Specifically, they were investigating smoke and fire coming from the duct work on the roof. They advised the public to anticipate a significant fire department presence and to steer clear of the area, if feasible.
According to a subsequent update, the fire has been extinguished and is believed to have been caused by a malfunctioning appliance within the duct work.
According to a spokesperson from Arlington Fire and EMS, units remained at the scene until 7:45 p.m. to ensure there was no further extension of the incident. It is reassuring to note that there were no reported injuries, and by 7:50 p.m., people were already in the process of reoccupying the mall.
According to a security official from DC News Now, the stores at the mall will be closed, while the restaurants will remain open. It has been reported that the only business impacted by the closure is Matchbox.
The Fire Marshal is conducting further investigations.