Man Rescued After Six Days Trapped Inside Car When Spectators See Wreckage Under Overpass

Wagswoofs – In a heartwarming incident in Indiana, a man received a special Christmas surprise when he was finally rescued from his car after being trapped inside for six long days.

During a press conference on Tuesday, the Indiana State Police announced that they had received a report of a crash at the 19-mile marker on Interstate 94.

Sgt. Glen Fifield reported that while two local fishermen were exploring Salt Creek for potential fishing spots, they came across a vehicle partially submerged in the creek beneath the I-94 bridge.

“Out of curiosity, they decided to look into the vehicle, and they saw that it was occupied by one male occupant. One of the good Samaritans touched this occupant, thinking that this person was deceased and they were not,” he continued. “The occupant turned their head and began speaking to our good Samaritan.”

The rescued driver, identified as 27-year-old Matthew Reum of Mishawaka, Ind., had been involved in a crash and was unable to reach his cell phone to call for help, according to Fifield.

According to Fifield, Reum is currently undergoing treatment for his severe potentially life-threatening injuries. After being extricated from his vehicle, he was flown to Memorial Hospital in South Bend via Lutheran Air helicopter.

“Quite frankly, it’s a miracle that he’s alive. In this weather, we’ve been lucky enough here this Christmas season that our temperatures have been, as you all know, above normal. So, that was working in this individual’s favor. I know last year we had freezing cold and could have had very different circumstances,” he added.

Rescue attempt underway after authorities find driver trapped for days after crash along I-94

According to a press release from the Indiana State Police, Reum managed to survive by consuming rainwater.

During the press conference, Mario Garcia, one of the fishermen who discovered the man, stated that the man informed them that he had been stranded since last Wednesday. According to Garcia, the man had been desperately yelling and screaming for help, but unfortunately, nobody had heard him.

“It was an incredibly shocking moment that almost took my breath away. The sight of him, alive and filled with joy at the sight of us, was truly overwhelming,” Garcia recounted. She further mentioned that she noticed a few scratches on him, a testament to the challenges he must have faced during his time away.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *