Manslaughter charges filed against police officer for deadly punch on 71-year-old man

Juwan Marquise-Alexander Brown, a 29-year-old, entered a plea of not guilty during his arraignment on Wednesday morning. Brown, who appeared via Zoom for the hearing, only stated his name, while the magistrate entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.

On the evening of September 1, while on duty, Brown was dispatched to a Detroit bowling alley in response to a call about a disorderly individual, identified as Daryl Vance, from Detroit. The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office stated that the charge against Brown is related to an incident that occurred during this time.

The Wayne County Prosecutor, Kym Worthy, has filed charges of manslaughter against Brown. If found guilty, he could potentially face a 15-year prison sentence.

According to a statement by Worthy, the evidence in this case indicates that the officer, who is accused of being the aggressor, went beyond what was necessary in dealing with a disorderly and verbally unpleasant citizen. Worthy emphasized that such behavior from law enforcement cannot be tolerated criminally.

According to the Detroit Police Department, Brown has been fired from his position due to his actions in the incident. However, he is utilizing his contractual right to appeal the decision.

The department stated that Mr. Brown will be off the DPD payroll and will not have any law enforcement authority while the appeal is pending.

In a statement, the DPD expressed their full cooperation with Prosecutor Worthy’s efforts in securing a conviction for the offenses in question.

During his arraignment on Wednesday, Brown’s attorney, Matthew Forrest, requested a personal bond for his client. Forrest emphasized that Brown has a clean criminal record and has been working as a Detroit police officer for about seven years. Additionally, he highlighted Brown’s strong connections to the Detroit community and the fact that he is a dedicated father to his 7-year-old son.

According to Forrest, “Once we learned about the filing of charges, we made arrangements for Mr. Brown to voluntarily surrender himself for arraignment today. It is important to note that he poses no risk of fleeing or harming the community. We kindly request a personal bond to allow Mr. Brown to return home and be with his son.”

The state requested a bond that was deemed “reasonable” and would be determined by the court.

Magistrate William Burton decided to set a personal bond of $100,000 for Brown. Additionally, he emphasized that Brown should not be in possession of any weapons and should refrain from having any contact with the witnesses or the victim’s family.

The case has a scheduled probable cause conference on Jan. 3.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *